Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Age of The Earth/The Actual Year

NOTE: I do not mean to cause any distress/anger/conflict, I am simply conveying scientific findings.

We know that this year is the year 2012. This is based on the christian belief that the Earth is 5000 years old.  This was to explain the large idea when science wasn't that advanced. However, due to radiocarbon dating and other methods, scientists have found enough evidence to state that the Earth is actually in fact +4.5 billion years old. Having that in mind, I wondered: What would the date be if it was based on the actual age of the Earth?

The closest possible answer is 4,564,906,212, meaning that the year is currently (as of 2012) 4,564,906,212.

I got this answer from more sites than I can remember. The first two numbers were easy enough as several sites all stated the crust radiation patterns put the Earth to 4.5-4.7. I then got reinforcements of 4.5 billion when the oldest rock got radiocarbon dated to around 4.5 billion years old. The rest of the numbers were difficult. I got the number 64 million from the age of rare minuscule crystals off a meteorite impact, and fossils of the first life on Earth. 906 thousand years ago was around the time apes started evolving into humans. 212 was added onto the year as that was when modern humanoids and neanderthals existed, and the 12 thousand was around how long human history has lasted for now. I know it's not the most solid date, but it is the closest so far - Believe me, I searched for an hour. Please put your own "Real" Dates in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment